1970 Pontiac GTO

After the '38 Chevy went to a new home in Ohio, I started looking for something a bit more modern that rode more comfortably so that Jan and I could cruise long distance in it.  My preferrence was to remain in the GM camp if at all possible.  My search was limited by budget and also what would physically fit in my garage.  So, Big Impalas, Bonnevilles and such were out.  A Monte Carlo or Grand Prix would just fit with inches to spare, making them a possibility.  That left me with a Camaro/Firebird or any of the GM A-bodies, like Chevelle SS, GTO, Buick GS or Olds 442. 

I had my heart set on a 1970-71 Buick GS, but finding good ones with my budget were extremely difficult.  The problem is that good ones command stupid amounts of money so it was a bit of a pipe dream.  I was looking at alternatives when I happened across this 1970 GTO.  It is an older rotisserie restoration from about 2006.  It's rust free and the entire drivetrain had been overhauled.  The steering, brakes and suspension however, had not been touched and were in dire need of service.  With that work done, plus the addition of Holley Sniper Quadrajet EFI, it's a joy to drive.

Click on any picture to view a larger version.  Most of the pictures are fairly high resolution, so please be patient as they download.    All of the pictures can also be toggled to full resolution with a mouse click.  Right-click the picture and save it if you wish.

 

   

Here are some detail shots of the Holley EFI Installation 





Here is a picture of the bottom of the car before the exhaust, suspension and fuel injection work was done






.







The new exhauast system and the location of the "Posi Fluid Only" tag

















Under the dash next to the fuse panel is the bracket holding the Inertia switch for the fuel pump circuit.


















This is the inertia switch I use.  It's a Ford model that is rated for connection in series in the fuel pump circuit.  It can be manually tripped to avoid constantly priming the TBI unit when performing other electrical work.













Here is the stock master cylinder and power brake booster.  Vacuum for the booster is via a LEED Black Bandit vacuum pump mounted out under the drivers side fender, behind the headlights.  It was required because the engine didn't produce enough vacuum to adequately activate the Wilwood disc brakes .  Click on the picture to view a larger version that includes more iinformation








When the master cylinder, booster and vacuum pump work was done, I also include a shift from the 1970 version of the plumbing to the 1971 version.  Doing so eliminated the separate hold-off and distribution valves.  They were replaced with the more modern combination valve.










Here is another view of the valve, which is mounted to the factory bracket, in the stock location on the frame below the brake booster.












This is the LEED vacuum pump mounted to the bulkhead panel.  It gets mounted next to the battery, with the pump out behind the headlights.  Click on the picture to view a larger version that includes more iinformation.

















This picture shows the bulkhead panel in place next to the battery tray.

















This picture shows the approximate location of the pump.  Also visible is the auxiliary power panel which provides 12v "key on" power.










A closer view of the auxiliary power panel which provides 12v "key on" power.  Click on the picture to view a larger version that includes more iinformation.

Here is a schematic for the power panel connections: Power Panel










To make it easier to utilize the panel, I replaced the old battery with a comparable unit that has both top and side terminals.  The top terminals connect the stock battery cables to the usual locations, while the side terminals are for other accessory use.












This is a shot of the new upper rear control arms.  All of the suspension control arms, front and back, were replaced with units from Global West.  The upper rear units will make adjusting pinion angles with the new transmission much easier.











Here is a shot of the new upper rear control arms installed.  New bushings were pressed into the rear axle housing when the control arms were installed.

















A shot of the new upper rear control arms installed.  Also visible are the single-adjustable shocks from RideTech.













A view from below showing the upper and lower Global West control arms as well as the RideTech shocks and stock replacement coil springs.













As you can see from the above picture, the rear axle still has drum brakes.  The intention is to have installed a Wilwood brake kit to compliment the kit already installed up front.  The difficulty with aftermarket brake kits has been trying to find a kit to work with factory 14" wheels.

The rear kit recommended by Wilwood for such an application on a Pontiac (BOP) rear axle is: #140-13513-R

Here is a link to the wheel clearance chart for that kit: Clearance Chart

Here is a link for installation instructions: Instructions

I have reproduced the standard Pontiac rear axle and Posi differential sections of the 1970 Service Manual  in PDF form for download.  Here is the link: 1970 Axle and Posi Diff